Staying Connected While Off-Grid: Satellite Phones for Sale
Satellite Phones for Sale
Satellite mobile phones provide reliable voice calling, texting, and data capabilities far beyond cell tower coverage areas.
Pricing has become more competitive while designs and features continue to improve year over year.
We break down the latest satellite phones available for consumer purchase with sale prices.
Top Picks for Satellite Phones On the Market in 2024
- Iridium 9575 Extreme and 9555 - Rugged flip phone model known for global coverage, durability in harsh environments. Starts at $995 unlocked or lower upgrade costs for existing customers. Voice calls, SMS texts, basic email, and wireless data connections.
- "Withstood high seas and storms during months offshore" - Yacht Captain sailing the Pacific
- Inmarsat IsatPhone 2.1 - Slim candy-bar style handset capable of up to 264kbps speeds for texts/email plus clear voice calls. Portable size great for hiking or backpacking usage. Begins around $699 without an activation plan.
- "Lightweight and easy messaging when I had no cell towers for miles" - Hiker using through New Zealand backcountry fishing rainbows
- Garmin inReach Mini 2 - Two-way satellite communicator keeps adventurers connected through interactive SOS, text messaging via the Iridium satellite network, personal tracking and more. Starting at $399. Fair, flexible no-contract plans.
- Iridium Extreme 9575 - Rugged flagship model built for reliability in extreme conditions. Pricier but unmatched performance. Accessible globally including poles. Starts at $1,000.
- "Calls came through crisply when weather grounded other systems" - Atmospheric researcher in Antarctica polar regions on iridium 9575
Buying Considerations for Satellite Phones
- Satellite Network Coverage - Opt for service like Iridium or Thuraya for true worldwide connectivity or a regional provider that focuses coverage in your geography.
- Data/Messaging Usage - Determine how much you'll need calling minutes vs SMS texts or email access. Some service plans bucket usage while others allocate types into tiers.
- Monthly Costs vs One-Time Fees - Cost split between activation fees, hardware purchase costs and connectivity plans mean upfront outlays but affordable ongoing access in remote areas.
While historically expensive, innovations continue improving satellite phone hardware and connectivity pricing.
For frequent travelers in remote locations or emergency preparedness, accessing satellite networks keeps communication flowing from virtually any spot on the planet.